Thursday, January 20, 2011

Ben Rotman

Ben Rotman, Picture No. 3 on MOCA

Picture No. 3, by Ben Rotman
Just looking at this picture without knowing what motivated the artist, I relate to the bondage one can feel in life in general.  I relate to the feeling that life can seem so unfair - here I have hands that want to do something useful and have to clench these posts, wait, seemingly with little hope.
Discovering that this depicts Darfur, I feel sorrow for those who struggle from such violence - and need for freedom.
In either case, this image depicts freedom taken away from an individual - who is losing his sense of self, sinking into possibly an irretrievable despair.
This is certainly not suggesting that anyone in prison is a victim.  I am basing my feelings on the image itself.
-AnneMarie

No comments:

Post a Comment